Thursday, August 14, 2014

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru - 8 - Twilight of the Golden Witch recap part 5


Battler and Beato were guarding the door to the Golden Land... the 2nd wave of goats were approaching in pirate ships... these were probably powerful enough to break down the door to the Golden Land. They're planning to smash the golden land directly. Battler and Beato go inside and tell Shannon and Kanon that they are now the ones in charge of defense.
Lambdadelta pops in, and says that Bern and Ange are in the City of Books. the pirate ships have been delaying their attack because the party hasn't started yet.
The City of Books is a sacred realm under the supervision of the senate. It's protected by a holy barrier. Only a witch of the senate, and witches given special invitations, can enter.
Lion:
How do you know Ange is in the City of Books?
I saw it with my own eyes, of course.
Which means you're qualified to enter this sacred realm, right?
How stupid can you be?! If I were to save Ange, that'd mean crashing the great Aurora's party, get it?! I'd have the whole world as my enemy! And what's in it for me?! Nothing, obviously!
There could be no greater thrill. If you pulled off such a marvelous feat, you would be able to forget your illness for a thousand years, would you not?
She starts getting angry, saying she's just a spectator, and that she'll sit back and watch them all get devoured...
Forgive me. I'm totally lame, aren't I? ...Yeah, if I stood up right now and said 'leave it to me', my popularity would surge and I'd probably make it into the top 3 in the next character popularity contest.
But still, unlike the rest of you, I'm not a character who appears in the story... I can't die. It's like it's midnight, and you're telling me that we're almost at the best part. But tomorrow's Monday, and I've got early cleaning duty at school...! We live in completely different worlds...!!
Battler:
Sorry... it's not fair for us to force you to risk something on your own, not when we haven't yet tried everything we can do.
EVA calls on Ange to tell her the seal has been broken... Ange gets up to leave, says she'll be back in a bit...
EVA:
Are you happy? Now, you'll finally get to learn that secret I've been hiding from you these past 12 years!
The which hunters and journalists arrive, and start asking Hachijo a bunch of questions...
Pardon me for asking, but is there solid proof that the contents of this diary are the truth? It seems that some are claiming it to be no more than a personal account of a single deceased person.
Hachijo uses the red to guarantee that the truth is written in this diary... she then goes to the "Authorized people only" room... Bern says that she needs to borrow the diary, because she promised Ange she'd let her read it first... Ange had the unsealed book in front of her... in that instant, two Anges appeared inside of her, taking control of her body at the same time.
the moment of truth...

Tell me... what happened that day... on Rokkenjima...
My consciousness returned gradually. Nothing was written in the open book before me. Of course. This was... my own blank and empty notebook.
I was at school, just sitting idly with my notebook open.
Students with goat heads were mocking her... however, nothing that came from their mouths reached her ears as words... a world without letters or words... The goats started eating Ange...

They weren't words of the human world. they were a witch's words... The red truth, which signifies absolute truth.
This is... the truth of the Rokkenjima incident!!
I won't accept it, I won't!
The goats kept telling her red words...
Whether you accept it or not, that doesn't change the truth!!
Who cares about the truth, so stupid, so pointless...! I'm the one who gets to decide if that's the truth or not, right? Even if it's red truth, I won't acknowledge it, won't forgive it, I definitely won't accept it...!!
The red truth is absolute?! Who is it absolute for?!
I won't let you guys contaminate my truth with yours!! Haha ahahahaha!! My truth is that Eva oba-san is the culprit!!
I'll deny the red truth, deny the whole world!!
Bern:
That's right... In that case, try writing the red truth that only you can write... but how is it possible for a human to write with red truth?
I'll write it! My own blood-red truth!
Ange's body went past the edge of the balcony. she plunged straight into the darkness below.

She probably died instantly.
The index finger on the right hand of her corpse stuck out, as though it was tracing something.
Could it be that, by some impossible miracle, she really had escaped an instant death? And could the red blood that had drained from her on the moment of her death... have been the ink that drew her own personal red truth? Even if she did, nobody would be able to read it. The blood that was flowing out of her had already spilled ontop of whatever she wrote.
EVA:
You managed to die... However, this doesn't mean that everyone will be waiting for you in heaven. After all, you reached this place by rejecting all of those in heaven... . No, that's probably where we are right now.
Even in this form, as chunks of meat... Ange was unable to die. She would drift along in the deepest depths of oblivion, covered by the dust of oblivion, until she finally... disappeared.
She continued to question herself. What did the truth mean to her?
Apparently, I was lying on asphalt under the pouring rain.
Someone approached her...
Hachijo:
This is a public highway you're sleeping on. Do you want to become roadkill?
She managed to let out a short groan...
I see. So you aren't roadkill yet.
It's lucky that brain damage is all we have to deal with. Spend much longer in a spot like that, and things would likely have been much worse.
She can't remember anything, except the fact that she's 18.. Hachijo Ikuko decided to name this girl Hachijo Tohya.
she reads Hachijo's manuscript, all in one night.. she took a great interest in mysteries...
Is it really fun to write detective novels that you won't show to anyone?
... It used to be... Once
Now?
I like getting to hear your opinions.
Eventually, they wrote a story together, and decided to publish it...

Later, Ikuko was reading a lot on the computer... Ange/Tohya asked what it was about.. she said she was reading the discussions, theories, and forgeries on the Rokkenjima incident.
that triggered her headaches... her memories started flashing back to her...
Who... was I, again...? I am... Ushiromiya...
Ange! ....Ange...!! Please, please say something...!!
Her parents, and everyone else was there in the Golden Land, greeting her.
Beato:
You were fortunate... By chance, we found you drifting in the waves of the sea of emptiness... You were in a terrible state... It took much time to make you remember your true form.
You've been on a great and terrible journey, haven't you? ... You took that journey all by yourself...
You understand now, don't you? You won't forget again?
The truth... wasn't worth anything at all. In the first place, the truth is always in the past. The point of the future isn't to learn what happened in the past.
What really matters... is whether I can truly live and prosper in the truth that is the now.
Back when I only ever tried to see the truth of the past, I was nothing more than a ghost trapped in the past.
Ange even calls Eva "Mom" for the first time...

Maria retracts Ange's expulsion into Mariage Sorciere.
Witches cannot create a universe unless there are two... in the future, you will be alone. Will you be okay?
I'm not alone anymore... I'll... live.. with everyone. And I'll live in the future. I swear to keep living, so that I can pass on the magic of Mariage Sorciere.
Then she talks to Battler... he asks her if the truth was really worth it...
Beato put Rokkenjima in the cat box. The next witch, Eva oba-san, guarded the lid of that cat box her whole life. The witch after that, you, opened that lid... but so what? Why does the truth of the past matter?
I'm... gone. But I'll always be behind you, watching over you.
Humans are sad creatures, who can "learn" but not "unlearn". She had already learned. It may have been a cruel, terrifying, merciless thing, capable of destroying even the miracle called hope... However, there was still one tiny fragment left gripped in her hand. Her family's... love. If she can just remember that and hold it tight... then surely, Ange will live on...

No comments:

Post a Comment