Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Revolutionary Girl Utena series recap part 6

This is where the plot really comes together, and all that weird symbolism from earlier on in the series begins to make some sort of sense... at this point I'm only watching the rest of this series during the peak of a high session. And I'm commenting a LOT more... like each episode I spend around an hour just writing about it.

Episode 34

Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot

Akio talks about how he discovered a comet, and named it, but didn't tell anybody... just the act of naming a comet makes it feel like you own it, but nobody owns the stars...
Good night, big brother.
Must you still torture me...
Utena gets a photo with Himemiya and Akio.. then they go to see a play together.
All life is like a play. You're either an actor or a spectator.
Nobody but them is watching the play...
The play is called "The Tale of the Rose". The actors are the silhoutte characters, including the "Extra extra extra!" person and the "do you know?" person.
This story takes place when all girls were princesses. The world still hadn't fallen to darkness back then. The reason for this was because there was a Rose Prince.
An old woman warns the prince:
A witch is plotting to steal the light and plunge the world into darkness.
...
Surely you know about it, the castle that floats in the sky. That is the witch's castle. The witch who lives there now... is planning to steal the light from this world!
The light is...
and then silhouettes of all the student council members come up:
That which is eternal.
That which shines.
The power of miracles.
The power to bring the world revolution.
Prince:
Then I will defeat this witch and save the light of this world!
He goes to the castle.. the witch turns out to be the same old woman that gave him the warning.
You fool! This was all a trap to seal you into this castle! It is you who is the light!
The witch reveals her true identity as the prince's little sister.
I'm just "the little sister".. I'm the only one you can't make a princess!
...
A girl who cannot become a princess is doomed to become a witch!
The witch still wanders our dark world even now. She searches for young, noble souls to sacrifice anew! She seeks to keep another from bringing light to the world, so that darkness will reign...


That was some deep stuff...

Episode 35

Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot

Touga is training with Saionji...
The fact that she continues to win, even without the sword of Dios appearing... is causing someone some concern.
She's no ordinary girl. When she was a child... she was shown something eternal.
Later, Himemiya goes to bed early, leaving Utena and Akio alone. Akio says it must be tiring having Anthy as her friend.. he asks Utena what a friend means to her...
That would be... someone important to me.
Then, what about us? Are we friends, too?
You always wear this ring.
Because, the prince gave it to me.
You didn't even take it off on that night.
She refuses Akio's advances, saying she wants to be true to her prince.
It's just, when I look at this... I remember. He told me to never lose my nobility.
She says she can't remember much else from that time.
Then it shoes the scene where she meets the prince.. she asks if he's an agent of death, he says no.. she says he's pretty and follows him around. he shows her the witch, aka the Rose Bride.
Those who can die are lucky. She cannot die. She simply lives on in agony. It is her punishment for taking the prince away from the girls of the world. They still tell the story, even now. It is the Tale of the Rose...
Another flashback scene... the prince is injured, and Anthy is there trying to help him. A mob of people are outside demanding the prince to help their daughters... Anthy tells him not to fight anymore, she doesn't want him to die.
Dios is no longer here. He belongs to me alone now. I've sealed him away where you can never touch him again!
They all gang up on Anthy, calling her a witch, and she ends up in the prison that Utena now sees before her..
Dios tells Utena:
She sacrificed herself to save her prince...
Utena runs up to the Rose Bride...
And yet the prince she loved... is no longer the prince she knew. He is now the End of the World...
Utena tries to reach out to Anthy, gets blown away, and tries to get Dios to save her.
All that's left is her suffering!
She's beyond my help now. The only one that can save her now... is a prince that she can believe in. I can't become her prince.
Utena:
Then I'll become her prince!
If you never lose your nobility, even when you grow up... Then you may be able to save her from her eternal torment. And yet I'm sure... I'm sure you will forget all about what you've seen tonight. And even if you do remember this... you're a girl. Eventually, you'll become a woman.
I'll do it. I swear, I'll become a prince!
If so... That ring will lead you back here, one day...
Utena wakes up, tells Anthy she was having a familiar dream... Anthy says she was watching her sleep...
Utena... Who are you?
Next, Akio is in the car with Touga again...
The next duel will certainly bring revolution to the world. Will the person to do it be Utena... or you?
Utena starts staring at Himemiya a lot while she's in the rose garden... trying to remember why she wanted to become a prince...
There's something I can't remember... like a dream you have just as you're waking up.
She's about to find out something by taking a good look at Anthy's face... then Akio interrupts, and takes Utena outside to talk about flowers.

Then it cuts back to Touga and Akio.. Touga is shooting pics of Akio modeling on his car.. says he's concerned about how he's moving in on Utena. Akio wants Touga to give her a present... he wants Touga to choose the gift... and say it's from him (Akio)...
She's a girl who treasures an old ring given to her by a man... who's name she doesn't even know.
Touga approaches Utena and gives her earrings from the chairman... Wakaba cheers for her...
Utena tries to say this isn't right...
Besides, they don't suit me.
Touga sees Utena acting like this towards Akio's gift... tells her there's something she wants to consult her about. Wakaba warns her not to trust him...

He takes her horseriding...
Aren't horses part of the "prince" image you like so much?
She's all surpised... she falls off the horse,only for Akio to catch her while riding on a white horse...
You're lucky... I always go riding on this trail.
Back with Touga and Saionji... Saionji comments that Touga is not himself... that he is weakened by fear.
You're arrogant and pompous... and full of treacherous confidence. That's the sort of man you are. You pretend to be chivalrous... but you've never really loved anyone. People are nothing but tools to you. That was your strength. However... will your sword defeat her now?
Akio:
I've won the game.
Touga:
Nope. It's a draw. She wasn't happy about the present. Just as I expected.
Akio:
She's torn, now. It's too bad. I'd like to see them on her. I think she'd be a fine princess.
The next match will be an interesting one. Will we have a princess who will revolutionize the world? Although I still hope that you will win.


whoa... my stoned right now my head can hardly take this much confusing plot...

Episode 36

Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot

Touga recalls his memory of Utena...
young Utena:
Living on... It's just making me sick.
It is?
Yes... It's making me sick... Why does everyone go on living if they all have to die someday? Why didn't I realize it before today? That there's no such thing as something eternal.
Something eternal...?
So, I've had enough. I'll never come out of this coffin.
present Touga:
If I'm to save her... I must defeat her!
Saionji:
You're saying you genuinely love her?
suddenly all the cameras and mics are on Touga and Saionji...
(Well, I wonder...) Even I'm not sure.
Saionji:
We've all recieved many letters from him... From End of the World.. And we've dueled as we've been instructed to.
Touga:
Yes. But now I've recieved the final letter.
Saionji:
You're his little lapdog. You can get your orders directly from him. Are you really content with that? Why do you serve him the way you do?
Touga:
Because, a long time ago, he saved her.
Touga's own version of the past is that Utena is a princess who needs saving by the new noble prince.
Utena's version of the past is that Utena must become a noble prince who can save the poor witch.

Saionji:
Maybe the chairman DID save her that time... but she's still trapped in that coffin. No, it's not just her. We're all trapped in our coffins.
standing above a giant starcaise... leading down towards an eerie isolated forest. are they in some kind of floating sky world (all in general, not just the upsidedown castle)?

Utena and Anthy are together laying in the grass... she looks at Anthy... sees that image of the poor witch... her expression becomes full of sorrow and worry like Anthy's sometimes usually is...

Utena is trying to save the Rose Bride from being eternally tormented for saving the person who was once her beloved prince...

End of the World Akio... the one who used to be the noble prince Dios... is now showing the source of his eternal power to duelists and having them duke it out for the power to revolutionize the world.

Utena:
I came to Ohtori Academy to find my prince. There are people like princes, ones who might be princes, and ones I'd like to be princes. But an actual prince? Well... (thinks of Akio)
Anthy:
Do you know there are things worse than duels?
back to the present... Akio in the forest with Utena...
You're like a princess you'd find in the woods.
Akio... You sound sincere when you say that.
I think Akio is actually trying to help her remember...

Jury notices a change in Utena, becoming more like a woman... tells Miki:
Everything is changing. The entire school is changing.
You mean as if...
it was a revolution?
Yes. The day of the revolution is approaching. But what is this vague, awful feeling I have?
I hear you
Saionji:
It's time to rise from our coffins! From the coffins End of the World has prepared for us!
... more of that hilariously obvious symbolism...

Utena:
ChuChu... Are you always left alone when she goes to visit her brother like this?
Touga knocks on the door and finally gets her to come with him to the dueling arena... because they need to "talk"
they go up the gondola without any epic music...
It just doesn't feel the way it usually does.
Touga:
I'm happy to have this ride up to heaven alone with you at night.
the upside down castle appears from a constellation of stars....
I'm so happy to have met a person as lovely as you.
Are you in love with the chairman?
That is possible, but Akio's engaged... Aren't you going to tell me about End of the World?
End of the World...? I can't say who he is now. You'll know who he is soon enough. But before that, there's something I want to ask you... Can't I be your prince? You're the only princess for me.
Your nobility and beauty have won you many admirers. Even if I cannot be worthy of you... let me be here with you for this moment at least.
he kisses her hand...
If I can just engrave this feeling, of being with you here tonight.. will you at least let me have that?
Utena thinking:
Come to think of it, I thought he might've been my prince when I first met him...
roses disappearing with gunshots in the background as Touga and Saionji are plotting to defeat Utena at all costs.
If she does win, she'll fall into End of the World's hands!
Anthy asks Utena where she was last night... suddenly Touga comes up and challenges her to a duel.
I promise, if you win this duel... the student council will never try to take the Rose Bride again. However, if I win, you must become my woman!
... if they don't take the Rose Bride, End of the World will... they don't believe Utena will try and save her... or maybe believe Utena will become his new sacrifice?

Saionji pulls the sword out of Touga

Touga:
Personal feelings are forbidden in combat... MISS TENJOU
This is the third time we dueled here.
Strange. It feels like it's been dozens of times.
she sees Himemiya, they call out to each other...
Himemiya... Trust me. I swear I'll protect you.
Himemiya trusts her... and cuts herself on Utena's sword. Utena's sword is now blocking a barrage of cars being thrown at them...

...
Let's go. Akio is waiting.
Touga warns her not to let her guard down around End of the World... or the Rose Bride...
Touga... Is it over... for us?
No. It won't be over until we see the very end...
These duelists at Ohtori Academy are all... cursed to living eternally?

Utena went up to Akio... and saw the thing that made Nanami go more insane than she already was... Anthy naked in front of him...
And there, we will meet once more. Signed, Your Prince.
Anthy:
Miss Utena, you got a letter from End of the World, didn't you?
Oh, Himemiya... I just can't forgive what you've done.
Miss Utena, don't you know... How much I've always despised you?
(did you know? did you know? did you knoooooow?)
The Absolute Destiny Apocolypse

My main takeaway from the plot is best summed up by this line:
...but she's still trapped in that coffin. No, it's not just her. We're all trapped in our coffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment