Thursday, March 5, 2015

Revolutionary Girl Utena series recap part 7 (finale)

This is the last "normal" episode before the final duel starts... the creepy side of the story clashes up with the normal slice of life school scenes.

Episode 37

The day of Revolution... Utena remembers her Prince's words... takes her ring off.
That ring will lead you back here, one day.
*drops the ring on the ground*

Saionji tells Touga he got a farewell letter from End of the World.
Touga:
I bet she's recieved a letter from him as well. But her's would be a very different letter. However, the revolution doesn't interest her.
So, the power of dios will remain sealed... and the revolution won't happen?
Touga:
Who knows. I don't know what End of the World's ultimate goal is.
Do you think Utena knows by now... who End of the World is?
Akio asks Utena why she still isn't wearing her ring.
I've started to think it doesn't suit me.
Akio starts saying stuff like she's acting very girlish tonight.. and that he thinks girlish things suit her...
Can I tell you a secret? The stars actually don't interest me at all...
Utena's usual bedtime talk with Himemiya... she's talking about her date with Akio... that Akio told her she was very girlish.. but doesn't know what it means to be called "girlish".
Himemiya:
In the end, all girls are like the Rose Bride...
She then asks Utena about the letter she got.
If you go to that castle, you'll meet your prince.
Touga, Saionji, and Akio modeling on the car:
I don't think Utena Tenjou will pass through the Rose Gate.
She has no reason to.
Doesn't she?
She never wanted to be... the one who brings the world revolution. She's chosen you, a real man, over her fantasy prince.
She has to make the choice.. and the choice is not yet made.
Next morning... Himemiya tells Utena that Akio has fallen in love with her.. and that she wants everything to stay the same as it is now... Utena rips her letter to shreds... later, Miki and Jury go and talk to Utena... they say they got a letter from End of the World, saying that Utena is the one who will bring Revolution to the World... they casually ask her what she'll do with the power while they bat a badminton thing around.
In the end, all I've been doing is playing prince.
Jury:
Come to think of it, even though I'm in the student council, all I've only been thinking about myself... What are you going to do with Anthy? Do you love her?
Utena tries to explain how her feelings for Himemiya are different from Miki's.. but can't explain it.

Nanami, who knows about Akio and Himemiya's true nature, tries to warn Utena to stay away from them for her own good. She's wearing her normal school clothes, and says she's resigned from the student council.
Utena:
Thanks for the advice.
Nanami:
You're so dense! Talking to you makes me do crazy things!
Utena:
Blood type-B people like me tend to be stubborn in conversations.
Nanami:
I am too.
Miki:
I've been thinking about you a lot lately, Miss Tenjou.
I thought you were in love with Himemiya.
Utena:
Can't I change my mind?
I just noticed they're all only talking when the birdie gets to them... how poetic.

Jury:
I was wondering if you could give me a picture of yourself.
Utena:
For what?
Jury:
I figured I'd put it in my new locket.
Miki:
Uh-oh, I think a dangerous rival just appeared.
(laughter)...
Utena:
You people are idiots.
...The Kashira Shadow Players
oh wow... that name...
Do you know? Do you know? Have you heard the news?
... their weird banter is just as hard to parse out as ever... it's very symbolic...

Anthy is in the car with her brother.. in pain..
Does it hurt, Anthy? Well I'm not the one causing it. It's the world!
...
Utena:
Himemiya, what do you plan to do in the future?
As long as I can raise roses, I'll be happy.
Himemiya starts talking about poison.. then mentions that she's the one who made that cookie in Utena's mouth...
Utena:
I put poison in your tea.
...
You don't say...
...
This tea is delicious.
Utena:
So's this cookie.
Anthy:
Miss Utena.. where will you be in 10 years?
Utena:
I don't know, but I hope we can still drink tea together, like we are now.
... then Utena dreams about Himemiya trying to commit suicide... or is it really a dream?
Don't we have a date to have tea and laugh together in 10 years?!
Forgive me!
Next, Touga and Saionji are talking to Utena... they figure out that she's doing it for Himemiya...
Touga:
Didn't you know? Whoever believes in true friendship is a fool.
Utena:
Didn't you know? I AM a fool.
Himemiya puts Utena's letter back together and reads it out:
The time has come. When you pass through the Rose Gate, the path to the castle will open. There, you gain the power to bring the world revolution. And there, we will meet once more. Signed, Your Prince.
Himemiya shows Utena the patched up letter...
There's still time. You can still turn back.
Utena shows that her ring is on... "Let's go."
Utena still trusts her... but should she?
But Utena, don't you know, the truth about this horrible world?


Akio... one thing I never noticed before is that he has long hair whenever he's in his car, in his "End of the World" form... Himemiya also has long hair when she's alone with him.


Episode 38

Right off the bat, ep 38 starts off with the final staircase scene. Utena and Himemiya go off towards the final duel to meet with End of the World. Akio reveals himself in his long haired form.
So, you're End of the World. You were the cause of everything that's happened!
You figured that out long ago. But I am still your prince. You've come here for the purpose of being with me.
EotW asks Utena what she's been dreaming about.. he says he's been dreaming about the castle... where a prince and princess will live happily ever after, forever and ever.
I am the prince. And you... the princess.
suddenly, as he says that, Himemiya vanishes and her clothes drop to the floor.
Anthy reappears at the stairway to the castle, in her long-haired form.

EotW starts pulling a sword out of Utena's chest... Utena's prince uniform changes to a girly dress...

He says they will live happily in the castle as prince and princess... Utena asks what will happen to Himemiya.
She will live on as the Rose Bride. Forever.
The image of Anthy in her prison flashes in Utena's mind. The scene of Anthy jumping off a building and Utena saving her comes up again.
Because I'm the Rose Bride... Because I'm a heartless doll... I thought no matter what happened to my body, I wouldn't feel pain on the inside. Forgive me, Miss Utena. The pain I feel comes with the curse of being the Rose Bride. But... The pain I caused you...! You were swept up into all this against your will. And even knowing that, I...! Forgive me, Miss Utena. I've betrayed you from the very beginning.
Utena:
No. I never realized the pain you were in. And despite that, I...! I kept acting like I was a noble prince who would save you! The truth is, my protecting you was just for my ego! And the night I learned about you and Akio...! I thought that you had betrayed me. Even though you were suffering so much...! After I said we should help each other, no matter what...! I was the one who cheated you!
so, I think this scene is happening after the point when Utena removed her ring, and before she decides to put it on again.

Back in the present.. Utena takes the sword from EotW.
Girls shouldn't brandish swords like that.
I'm going to free Himemiya from you!
EotW then says some really weird things..
Looking at you reminds me of what I used to be. However... For that reason, you cannot save Anthy. In the end, both the prince, and the castle where eternity dwells are just illusions. I shall now reveal reality to you.
Reality?
The End of the World.
They're back in the observatory all of a sudden...
EotW explains that he uses this planetarium equipment to project fairy-tale illusions for the naive people who wish that "eternity" and "miraculous power" really exist.
However, there is no place higher than this room. This room is the summit of Ohtori Academy. The summit of the world itself.
Utena:
I hate this room.
EotW:
Someone as young as yourself may not see the value it has. That's why, rather than aspiring to reach the Chairman's Residence... you chose the illusory castle in the sky instead.
Utena:
That's not the reason. This room is where you and Himemiya always...
he then shows Utena the footage of him and Utena being romantic together... he says that she lost her nobility because of this, and was only thinking of herself..

End of the World:
You really should remain a girl...
Once upon a time, reality got the better of you. You were powerless to stand against it. You couldn't escape the cruel truth of the world before you. So you cut yourself off from it. And the one who saved you from that darkness... was me. Thanks to me... you regained the strength you needed to face the world. To you, at that time, I was a prince. However... I'm still the same person I was then. Anthy, then as now, was the Rose Bride. As well as a witch... It's the same for you.
It then shows Utena in the interview elevator, she's wearing her normal duel clothes, and her white dress is there next to her... Akio's voice continues talking to her...
As you were then, you remain a girl. There's no reason to carry a sword and fight now. You have become a lovely and unspoiled princess. Now then, won't you please let me have that sword?
Utena:
And what will you do with it?
Bring revolution to this world.
Aren't you her brother? You're not going to help her?!
Anthy, laying in her brother's lap.. looks at Utena with hopeful eyes..
EotW:
Foolish creature. There never was a prince in this world to begin with.
... he's crying as he says this.
Do you know what that is? The grave of Dios, the prince. When she became known as a witch... Dios the prince vanished from this world. The prince I was no longer exists.
spikes suddenly appear all over Anthy's body...
Utena:
Looks like I have no choice but to fight you!
EotW:
For Anthy's sake? I once thought of her as a goddess... who sacrificed herself for me. For the one that she loved. I thought that, once upon a time... Perhaps that really is why she did it. But now, she is a witch. And now she enjoys being a witch.
Utena:
You made her a witch!
EotW:
You're wrong. We both love each other. She can no longer be happy any other way.
End of the World says this, as he draws a sword out of Anthy...

meanwhile, the 5 student council members are putting roses into a jar... none of them know what the outcome of Utena's final duel, called "Revolution" will be...
the duel that has already started.
You do not know the value of this room.
It only exists to torment Himemiya! I will free Himemiya from you! that I'm going to be a prince!
A huge burst of light shines from the top of the giant staircase... the upsidedown castle starts crumbling... Utena starts her usual finishing move... Anthy is just watching in shock, looking like she's rooting for her.

EotW backs off, and pushes Anthy toward Utena... Anthy goes behind her and plunges a sword through Utena's stomach..

woah.. was so not expecting that.
Why...
You remind me so much of Dios when I loved him. But you can never be my prince... Because you're a girl.
Anthy takes the sword from Utena's hand.
EotW:
I warned you. This isn't a game.



Episode 38 Screenshots:


Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot



Episode 39

The student council is standing in a circle. Saying not to take their rings off until they find out if Utena succeeds or not. except Nanami, who has already taken her's off, and is crouching, watching some meat cook on a barbeque... wtf

Himemiya starts to regret what she did, and hesitates giving the sword back to Akio...
Akio says
All of this is my fault. Do you hate what I've become? Perhaps, if I tried to be a prince like I used to be... no one would have to get hurt.
he's crying as he says this...
Your pain and your suffering... I feel them always, as a part of me.
Anthy:
Knowing everything of the world, you chose this path.
Akio:
And knowing everything of you, I love you.
she gives him back the sword, he walks up to the Rose Gate..
The portal which seals the power to revolutionize the world.
but then he notices something...
Here they come... ANTHY!
Utena grabs onto Himemiya's dress, tries to tell her not to go... Himemiya disappears from her dress.

a bunch of swords fly up toward Akio...
The million swords which shine with human hatred... They are stirred by the sight of this prince's sword.
The swords bounce off Akio's feet, avoiding him and flying upward away from his feet.
Utena watches as the swords form a circle around Himemiya, and start flying towards her.
She takes the swords in place of the prince. That is the destiny of the Rose Bride. This is what Anthy has chosen for herself...
Utena is in pain as Akio uses her sword to slash at the Rose Gate.
she starts begging for her prince to save Himemiya.

Prince:
Such a gentle-hearted girl... you weep for her? You see that rose-shaped gate there? Through that door lies eternity. That which shines. The power of miracles. With that power, anything is possible. It's too much for you. You're just a girl, aren't you? Besides, you don't have that power. With such power, you could do anything. You could free that girl from her destiny. But how the power shall be used...
EotW:
Is for me to decide.
Prince:
Come now, don't look so sad. You've tried so hard till now. No need to blame yourself. You've treasured the Rose Crest ring till now. A kiss, to show my appreciation...
Utena puches the ground, and manages to stand up...
Akio breaks Utena's sword on the door.
So, this sword won't work either... When will I finally regain the Power of Dios? Oh well, the Rose Bride still belongs to me.
Akio tells her there's no use in trying to open the seal. The prince sword has shattered...
You can't open it. I couldn't, so..
she pushes him away...

Wakaba looks up at the observatory, the place where Utena lives with Anthy and Akio... aka the spiral staircase and platform.

Utena struggles to open the gate...
Akio:
Seeing you is like seeing myself in the past...
Utena:
SHUT UP!
Himemiya... you still don't know... The only time I've ever been really happy... was when I was with you.
This... fucking brilliant scene.. Utena cries, her tear bounces on the ground and hits her ring.

Akio finishes his drink, then notices the swords have stopped coming towards Anthy... He sees Utena, pulling a coffin open in a very strange, surreal background... shadows of swords are pointed away from her...

EotW:
Don't open it! Don't you know what'll happen?!
The swords retreat from Himemiya... and start spinning around in a circle rapidly... he screams... as Utena finally succeeds in opening the coffin.
Who's there?
I came here to save you.
But... who are you...?
I came all this way to be with you. So don't be afraid of this world where we can meet.
Inside the coffin, is long-haired Himemiya... Utena calls out to her.
Himemiya... at last, we meet!
...
Utena-sama!
Himemiya, give me your hand!
No! Get out of here! The swords...!
she just keeps reaching out and telling Himemiya to grab her hand...

just as their hands touch... Himemiya's hand slips off and she starts falling.... her and the coffin with weird lines coming out of it, fall off the tower.
I guess, in the end... I couldn't be a prince...
The sword forms a giant spike, that plunges towards Utena... no, toward the tower itself, destroying whole room and equipment... The spiral staircase and tower crumble just like the castle.
meanwhile, Wakaba rings on the tower's doorbell...
I guess Utena isn't home. I wanted to do homework with her.
The silhouette girls start talking about what they'll do when they get out of this school...

wow... the way this show clashes the dark, fantasy side of its story with the normal school slice of life stuff... now the students are just gossiping about Utena and acting like the event that just happened was nothing special at all...
Hey, who was Utena again?
Huh? Don't you know? Remember? She always dressed in boys' clothes. The teachers were always chewing her out.
Ohhh... now I remember. Didn't she get hurt very badly... a few months back and had to be hospitalized?
Huh? Hospitalized? I heard her friend or her boyfriend betrayed her... and she transferred to another school.
I heard she got in trouble with the Chairman and got expelled.
All the side characters continue on with their lives as if everything is normal again, except Utena is gone... Wakaba has a new friend that she jumps on and annoys now.

Anthy goes to her brother...
Akio:
Now that Utena's gone, she is now just another failed dropout to the rest of this world. She failed to bring revolution. I'm rewriting the Rules of the Rose Crest. I'll be counting on you, Anthy.
Anthy:
You really don't know what's happened, do you? ...It doesn't matter. By all means, stay in this cozy coffin of yours... and continue to play prince. But I have to go now.
Go? Go where?
She isn't gone at all. She's merely vanished from your world.
W-what are you talking about?
Goodbye.
Chuchu jumps on Anthy's shoulder, carrying a luggage bag.
This time it's my turn to go. No matter where you are, I swear I'll find you. Wait for me... Utena.


Such an appropriately strange ending... My understanding of it is very vague, and when I try to put it into words it barely makes any sense at all.

Some random thoughts, although I doubt they are accurate...
That play that was describing how the girls of the world all rely on the noble prince and his eternal power to save them from their troubles... I think this was Akio's own world that he brought about with the "power to revolutionize the world". Akio made it so that, if you're a girl, you need to be saved by the prince. Anthy then took this power and revolutionized the world in her own way. She became the "evil witch" who stole the world's light.. Her being impaled with spikes and sealed in a coffin, that is the result of how Anthy feels about the rest of the world. That whole thing about Utena needing to become a "noble prince" in order to save Anthy, that's just Akio pushing his world view. From Akio's perspective, only someone worthy of being Anthy's prince can free her and take back the power to revolutionize the world. I think it's trying to imply that Anthy won't really be saved if Akio gets what he wants, because that'll just put things back to how they used to be before Anthy became a witch, so she'll just end up doing the same thing again.. In order to truly save Anthy and revolutionize the world, someone simply needs to show Anthy true friendship so that she no longer feels the need to seal that power away from the rest of the world.

Episode 39 Screenshots:



Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot Revolutionary Girl Utena screenshot

No comments:

Post a Comment